Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 1: Oh look, I'm blogging!

Welcome to my blog! Here I will record my experiences in CSC165, mathematical expression and reasoning, over the next few months. Hopefully you will find it interesting (haha... probably not) and it will help me process and consolidate all this new information. ADDITIONALLY (mostly), it satisfies my course requirements and I have no clue what people write in blogs!

Week 1 and 2 have gone by and I understand some material but I've imagined the rest. The lectures are very informational but occasionally a problem is introduced and I'm still musing over it while the class has moved on to another point and I've missed what a symbol or a term means and suddenly there is alien language all over the place and I'm completely lost!

∀ x ∈ E, F(x) ⇒ ¬ L(x)

Well, that's a dysfunctional funnel there with some water that will never funnel out since there's no hole at the bottom... x is an element of E! I know that one. There's also a fat arrow, one of those specialized Ikea tools, and some F(x) and L(x) that mean stuff.

The tutorial that I had in week 2, though, finally forced me to sit down and work through some of the problems. With the smaller class size, more individualized attention, and the threat of failing the quiz at the end of tutorial, suddenly everything made sense. For all x that is an element of E, F(x) returning true implies that L(x) will return false! (Right?)

3 comments:

  1. Good involving the questions from class into your slogs with the little pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It helps me retain the information better when I rewrite stuff from the lecture and put it into my own words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. literally laughed out loud at "specialized ikea tool"

    ReplyDelete